Date:      Fri, 01 Jan 1999 19:08:59 +0100
From:      sthaug@nethelp.no
To:        des@flood.ping.uio.no
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, freebesd-test@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: Postfix is coming. new uid, gid required.

> One more thing: whether intended or not, by importing it into the
> source tree, the Project places a stamp of approval on PostFix. Are we
> ready to do that? I, for one, would *never* run PostFix, as it is
> today, on a computer to which regular users have shell access.

I, for one, would never run *sendmail* on a computer where regular users
have shell access. I put considerably more trust in postfix, even at this
stage, than sendmail with its known past riddled with security holes. If
I had to make a list of "trust" in mailers, it would currently have to be:

1. qmail
2. postfix
3. sendmail

> If you
> don't understand what I mean, read BUGTRAQ, and try the various
> attacks described for yourself. Wietse Venema can't keep handwaving
> those holes for much longer.

If you've followed the discussion, you know that you have an alternative
in the latest Postfix version, namely a setgid program instead of a world
writable directory.

> So please, *please* keep PostFix out of the source tree until we're
> absolutely certain it's mature enough, and until the FreeBSD community
> have accumulated enough experience with running PostFix on FreeBSD.

I would be happy to have postfix in the source tree.