Date:      Tue, 7 Aug 2001 02:34:16 +0100
From:      Andrew Boothman <andrew@cream.org>
To:        "Todd Reed" <ex279@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DNS conversion from NT4

On Monday 06 August 2001 10:41 pm, Todd Reed wrote:
> We currently have an existing Windows NT 4.0 server running our DNS
> services.  We have been having some trouble with the OS crashing (go
> figure!) and need to rebuild the box.  I again suggested using a FreeBSD
> box to do our DNS and WWW.  What would be the best way to ensure our DNS
> settings are transfered correctly?  Should we go ahead and install BSD with
> BIND and run it as a secondary DNS.  Then, promote it to be the primary DNS
> once a zone transfer has taken place?

That is probably a good way. Otherwise, try and get NT to export your DNS
data in some way (not sure if that's possible) and then add the data into
/etc/namedb/ by hand.

> I'm not that familiar with BIND.  I've been working with FreeBSD for a few
> months now.  I've also tried to build a FreeBSD/Bind and a NT2000 box for
> DNS services, but have never been successful to get the DNS services
> running.

I'm surprised that you've not been able to get BIND running.

The DNS server is run by adding named_enable=YES to /etc/rc.conf and the
configuration files in /etc/namedb/ are pretty self-explanatory.

Did you get the server running, but have trouble configuring BIND to answer
for your domains?

> Also, at the latter part of this month, we are moving our current T-1's
> from UUNet to SWB.  How difficult will it be to reconfigure BIND?

I'm not sure what difference moving ISP will make. Apart from the fact that
your IP's will almost definately change, but that is just a matter of
changing old IP's to new ones in your zone files in /etc/namedb/
--
Andrew Boothman <andrew@cream.org>
http://sour.cream.org