Date:      Tue, 6 Feb 1996 16:18:53 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        nate@sri.MT.net (Nate Williams)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, rkw@dataplex.net, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: On keeping a src tree

> > I use "cvs diff" (I admit that this has only recently worked;
>
> Hmm, it's worked since day one for me.

It's failed since day one for me.  Of course I started at 2.0.5 and I
don't "make world" often because I am a kernel hacker, not a utility
hacker.  8-).

Specifically, a CVS update with a changed tree failed when the rev on
the checked-out, changed file was not the same as the updated rev of
the same file in the tree.  I had to awk "tags" onto the CVS/Entries
lines for each file I changed to make it work.

Gross, disgusting, and time consuming.

> >I had to
> > update my CVS to keep it from bombing out on my changed files on a
> > "cvs update",
>
> This was due to the 'death-state' support I suspect.

I went from a 2.0.5-Release CVS to -current and it fixed it; whatever.

> > and I had to disable the client and server code, since
> > I did not want to install the new headers on my host system and code
> > is still being built relative to the installed header files instead
> > of the header files in the source tree, like you'd expect).
>
> Huh?  When you run things locally, you shouldn't have to modify anything
> on your system.  Why would you have to install new header files because
> of the CVS client-server code?

It wants me to install the new headers for the MD5 stuff that the client
and server use to validate.  Specifically, it wants "struct MD5Context",
which I don't have one of, not having rebuilt the world.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.