Date:      Wed, 26 Apr 2000 08:31:07 +0100 (BST)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Committers <cvs-committers@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD current users <FreeBSD-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Remote serial gdb is broken in -CURRENT.

On Wed, 26 Apr 2000, Greg Lehey wrote:

> On Tuesday, 25 April 2000 at  9:39:10 +0100, Doug Rabson wrote:

> >> I've found the problem and fixed it.  It's been broken all along, but
> >> for some reason it got worse lately.
> >>
> >> Basically, what happened was that the getpacket function, which does
> >> polled I/O, wasn't locking out interrupts, and something was
> >> interrupting long enough for characters to get lost.  Since sometimes
> >> several consecutive characters got lost, it seems likely that either
> >> something locks out interrupts for an inappropriately long time, or
> >> the sio interrupt routines steal them.  Anyway, it works nicely at
> >> 115200 bps now.
> >
> > Great, thanks Greg. Debugging at 9600bps was getting painful :-)
>
> Even that didn't work for me.  BTW, the fix had the side effect of
> making the clock stand still.  I've changed the code (spltty instead
> of splhigh), and it seems to work OK now, so it probably was the tty
> interrupt stealing characters.  I'll commit when I'm sure all is still
> OK.

Cool.

> > On a nearly unrelated subject, can you try out the new stuff I just put
> > into the kernel linker to allow it to export information to GDB. Now you
> > should be able to use GDB's "sharedlibrary" command to load symbols. Make
> > sure that the path used to load the file on the debugged machine is a
> > valid path leading to the same file on the debugger machine.
>
> This looks like just what I'm looking for, especially if it can
> extract kld symbols.  How do I use it?

Basically, all you do is load the module on the scratch box. Use an
absolute path which also leads to the same file on the debugging box. Then
break into GDB somehow and type "sharedlibrary". The debugger should print
a message about each file which it finds and you can then use "info
sharedlibrary" to see where they were loaded. All the symbols are loaded
and relocated properly so you should be able to set breakpoints etc. as
normal.

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com