Date:      Thu, 23 Sep 1999 19:00:59 -0700
From:      Eric Lee Green <elgreen@iname.com>
To:        Dann Lunsford <dann@greycat.com>, hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Secondary IDE-PCI interface invisible

On Mon, 20 Sep 1999, Dann Lunsford wrote:
> I'm currently running a DFI P5BV3+ motherboard, with 128 megs and a K6-2
> 350.
> Freebsd 3.3-STABLE.  uname -a output follows:
>
> FreeBSD bigphred.greycat.com 3.3-STABLE FreeBSD 3.3-STABLE #1: Mon Sep
> 20 06:13:34 PDT 1999
> root@bigphred.greycat.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/PHRED  i386
>
> Problem:  NOTHING I've tried can make the secondary on-board IDE
> interface
> visible to FreeBSD.  The BIOS detects a drive on the secondary, but
> boot just says "Sorry."  Output of dmesg follows

I had a similar problem. The problem is caused by FreeBSD adhering strictly to
the EIDE standard. Other operating systems, such as Linux and Windows 98, allow
misconfigured hard drives to still operate.

In my particular instance, I had removed an IDE CDROM from my secondary
on-board IDE channel and replaced it with a SCSI Yamaha 4-4-16 CD-RW drive. The
hard drive on that channel was a Western Digital Caviar 3.2gb EIDE hard drive.
The WD was strapped as master. If you read the WD manual, though, it says that
if it is the only device on the bus, that it must have NO straps -- i.e., be
configured as neither master nor slave. Also note that if it is the only device
on the bus, it must be on the last connector on the cable, else you can get
some problems due to lack of termination.

Removing the jumper on the WD made it accessible to FreeBSD, and all still runs
well even unto today.

Note that this is specific to particular brands of hard drive. For example, my
8.4gb IBM EIDE hard drive did not care when I removed the 1gb IDE hard drive
that was secondary on that channel.

And finally, the way I figured out what was happening was by going through wd.c
and putting a LOT of debugging statements until I found the routine that was
returning an error. If that error had been reported rather than just returned
as an error constant, the problem and its solution would have been obvious.
Unfortunately, wd.c does not properly report errors.  Hopefully the re-written
IDE driver for FreeBSD 4.0 will properly report errors, rather than always
reporting a generic "could not detect" error.

--
Eric Lee Green    http://members.tripod.com/e_l_green
  mail: e_l_green@hotmail.com