Date:      Sun, 6 Feb 2005 17:42:07 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@chuckr.org>
To:        Scott Long <scottl@freebsd.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers List <FreeBSD-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: i86 install images

On Sun, 6 Feb 2005, Scott Long wrote:

> Chuck Robey wrote:
> > I need someone to verify for me, the disc1 image on the main
> > (ftp.freebsd.org) website image, I have downloaded it 3 times now, and it
> > keeps on reporting to me, when I try to burn it, that it's the miniinst
> > image.  I'm capable of missing something obvious, so I am asking someone
> > (anyone) else to check this, please.
> >

> I assume that you're talking about 5.3-R or 4.11-R?  If you think that
> the image might be corrupt, could you verify the MD5 checksum with what
> was published in the release announcement?
>
> > One item that always irks me, what's the actual name of the disk images.
> > There is a reticence to answer this on the website, cause they're trying
> > to make one answer do correct duty for all the arches, but what they've
> > accomplished is managing to completely miss the mark, to leave out the
> > main data of what's the correct actual names of the images to download.
> > They keep on referring to "the install disks", so I can't figure out what
> > the miniinst is, or the bootonly.  I have a small universe to choose from,
> > yes, but it should be size zero.
> >

> The general scheme is:
>
> bootonly: just the kernel and sysinstall.  Equivalent to the boot
> floppies.  Only for doing network installs
>
> miniinst: kernel, sysinstall, installation distributions, perl package.
> The minimum you need to install FreeBSD from a single CD.
>
> disc1: kernel, sysinstall, install distributions, lots of packages.
> Good for installing a desktop like Gnome or KDE.
>
> disc2: kernel, sysinstall, no install distributions, live filesystem.
> Good for recovering broken systems.  I used it for just this a few days
> ago myself.
>
> The iso9660 label name sometimes gets screwed up when we cut releases.
> We should be better about this, but it's not something that is always
> obvious.  We are working on a new scheme that combines disc2 and
> miniinst and puts all packages on disc2.  There will no longer be a
> miniinst after that, just disc1, disc2, and possbily bootonly.

3 different responses, all 3 entirely professional, and this is the
reason why FreeBSD is never going to be entirely removed by Linux, because
the support is so GREAT!

Anyhow, I do my downloading using my Mac machine, and it's reporting the,
say for the disc1, it's "miniinst" and for disc2, it's reporting "LiveFS".
I know it's not important what label's on the disc, as long as it's not
part of the install, but having the names not only being wrong. but
actually overwriting good names, that's not very good.  If I was root, I
would want that fixed, it would embarrass me.

Just before I sign off here, once more, thanks for the gret response!