Date:      Tue, 10 Mar 1998 09:30:45 -0800 (PST)
From:      Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
To:        Matthew Thyer <thyerm@camtech.net.au>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, current@FreeBSD.ORG, Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Subject:   Re: silo overflows (Was Re: 3.0-RELEASE?)

On 10-Mar-98 Matthew Thyer wrote:
> My silo overflows seem to have disappeared.
>
> Unfortunately I've just changed 4 things at once!
>
> - I recompiled XFree86 3.3.1 (NOT 3.3.2) recently (whilst running a
>   system built from CTM src-cur.3261 [Feb 23] sources)

That's not it here,  No X at all and still silo overflows...

> - I've just made the world at CTM src-cur.3281 [8 Mar 1998 23:07:21 -0800
> (PST)]

That could be it

> - I've turned on SoftUpdates on all but the root fs.

??

> - And I've taken Option "pci_retry" out of my /etc/XF86Config file. **

Again, sounds like X11 related. The problem may be agravated, or even
manifested, by X11, but I have it regardless of X11.

> Did anyone change anything that could stop silo overflows between
> CTM src-cur.3261 and CTM src-cur.3281 ?
>
> ** Personally I think this is the key but have not the time to try
> it now (ie I am downloading XF86 3.3.2 in an xterm and thus cant
> restart X for a while).

I built XF86--3.3.2, XFSetup does not link, has lots of tk/tcl undefined
stuff.  When it is installed, it does funny things with interrupts;  mouse
events seem to be generated out of thin air.

Because I get the silo overflows consistently, without any X11 on the
machine, I doubt X11 is key to this.  From Mike's excellent overview of
interrupts, it is pretty clear that an interrupt is leaking someplace.
I ALWAYS see this silo overflow associated wit ha DPT lost interrupt;

Some time ago (several months) I noticed that the DPT driver is not getting
certain interrupts.  I simply did not get them.  It was not a case where I
receive them and not proces them.  At first I suspected the hardware.  It
happens, under SMP, on two drastically different motherboards.
I added a simple timer to the DPT driver that occasionally wakes up and
checks the hardware for posted interrupt.  If I find one, I process it and
complain.

I always get a silo overflow when using PPP.  It always happens with a DPT
lost interrupt recovery.  Not every DPT lost interrupt recovery has an
sio.c silo overflow, but every silo overflow has a DPT lost interrupt
associated with it.

Probably a race condition in interrupt handling.  If X11 causes the video
card to generate interrupts, this is our clue;  A video card can generate
interrupts very quickly.  So can a DPT;  Less than 2us between interrupts
is not unusual.

For all it's worth;  Fast Interrupts remind me of Linux interrupts;  You
shutdown all interrupts, etc.  Linux chronically loses interrupts.  If you
block all interrupts, there simply is no way to guarantee you will not lose
one.  This is how I understand it.  I am probably wrong.

Simon