Date:      Fri, 10 Apr 1998 23:23:12 -0500
From:      dannyman <djhoward@uiuc.edu>
To:        John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>, John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
Cc:        chadf@bookcase.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   whose english is it anyway?

On Fri, Apr 10, 1998 at 11:12:23PM -0500, John Fieber wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Apr 1998, John Birrell wrote:
> > Chad M. Fraleigh wrote:
> > >
> > > 	"authorisation" should be "authorization".
> >
> > In my _*English*_ dictionary, either is acceptable.
>
> Citation please?

1 definition found

>From WordNet (r) 1.6 [wn]:

  authorisation
       n : the act of authorizing [syn: {authorization}, {empowerment}]

> It may be acceptable somewhere, but I dare say that the "z"
> version is much more widely accepted.

After all, it's the American way;

2 definitions found

>From Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913) [web1913]:

  Authorization \Au`thor*i*za"tion\, n. [Cf. F. autorisation.]
     The act of giving authority or legal power; establishment by
     authority; sanction or warrant.

           The authorization of laws.               --Motley.

           A special authorization from the chief.  --Merivale.

>From WordNet (r) 1.6 [wn]:

  authorization
       n 1: a document giving an official instruction or command [syn: {mandate}]
       2: a grant of authority to the executive branch of government
          to spend money for specified purposes; "authority for the
          program was renewed several times" [syn: {authority}]
       3: a power delegated from one person to another; "deputies are
          given the power to make arrests" [syn: {authority}]
       4: the act of authorizing [syn: {authorisation}, {empowerment}]

--
  //       dannyman yori aiokomete       ||  Our Honored Symbol deserves
\\/ http://www.dannyland.org/~dannyman/  ||  an Honorable Retirement (UIUC)