Date:      Fri, 30 Oct 2009 20:34:28 +0200
From:      Manolis Kiagias <sonic2000gr@gmail.com>
To:        Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Handbook X11 Configuration

Warren Block wrote:
> The Handbook X11 Configuration chapter has a couple of entries where
> hal .fdi files are added or changed, then:
>
> "You will have to reboot your machine to force hald to read this file."
>
> Is there a reason that merely restarting hald won't work?  Rebooting
> is a crude and drastic step unless it's necessary.
>
> Suggested wording:
>
>     After making these changes, restart hald:
>
>     /usr/local/etc/rc.d/hald restart
>
> -Warren Block * Rapid City, South Dakota USA

While it might be crude, it is also the safest way.
It seems the whole Xorg and HAL are going through rapid changes. Just
look how many times the Handbook section changed recently. It is
currently full of notes and exceptions referring to current and previous
Xorg versions. And as I hear, Xorg 7.5 will bring more changes.
And as Mark notes, I also had trouble starting/restarting HAL and prefer
to reboot for such changes. Rebooting a desktop machine is not a big
deal most of the times.