Date:      Thu, 4 Apr 2002 05:16:25 -0600
From:      "William M. Grim" <wgrim@siue.edu>
To:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE:

I'd first like to say I haven't actually used /etc/nsmb.conf but am
familiar with Samba itself so will give you any hints I come across.

First off, Samba can not authenticate with modern Windows computers
using clear text passwords.  Also, if you are trying to connect to a
computer that needs a username, bobbyjoe, then I doubt you want your
username in /etc/nsmb.conf to be root.

> /etc/fstab
> #----------
>
> //SERVER/Share	/mnt/net/server/share smbfs ro,noauto 0 0
>
> /usr/local/etc/rc.d/smbfs.sh is taken from
/usr/src/contrib/smbfs/examples

> i tried to run it, but it said "Authentication error".
> when i removed "-N" option it asked for password. clear_text_password
> worked fine...
> where am i doing wrong?

Again, I think that perhaps the authentication error comes from either
the username being root, the password not being set to encrypted, or a
combination of the two.

I might have been way off track in responding to your email, but I hope
it helps some.