Date:      Sun, 22 Oct 2017 16:05:05 +0200
From:      Matthias Andree <mandree@FreeBSD.org>
To:        amdmi3@FreeBSD.org, danfe@FreeBSD.org, danilo@FreeBSD.org, dumbbell@FreeBSD.org, ehaupt@FreeBSD.org, FreeBSD@Shaneware.biz, gnome@FreeBSD.org, grog@FreeBSD.org, h2+fbsdports@fsfe.org, jamesb-bsd@excamera.com, kde@FreeBSD.org, multimedia@FreeBSD.org, rm@FreeBSD.org, thierry@FreeBSD.org, woodsb02@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        ports-secteam <ports-secteam@freebsd.org>
Subject:   HEADS UP: OpenEXR vulnerability and deprecation, call for assistance/input

--f9JNETiC5HRQoOgMa7p9dL8VwSCRO42wi
From: Matthias Andree <mandree@FreeBSD.org>
To: amdmi3@FreeBSD.org, danfe@FreeBSD.org, danilo@FreeBSD.org,
 dumbbell@FreeBSD.org, ehaupt@FreeBSD.org, FreeBSD@Shaneware.biz,
 gnome@FreeBSD.org, grog@FreeBSD.org, h2+fbsdports@fsfe.org,
 jamesb-bsd@excamera.com, kde@FreeBSD.org, multimedia@FreeBSD.org,
 rm@FreeBSD.org, thierry@FreeBSD.org, woodsb02@FreeBSD.org
Cc: ports-secteam <ports-secteam@freebsd.org>
Subject: HEADS UP: OpenEXR vulnerability and deprecation, call for
 assistance/input

--VtkLlNDcJED3oaW2Kj1mQRvLbG0aAPUX3

Greetings,

[not yet Cc:d to ports@]

I am the graphics/OpenEXR maintainer, and as some of you may already
know, OpenEXR has been vulnerable for quite a while, including "execute
arbitrary code" attacks.  I don't have patches I dare apply, so OpenEXR
is currently marked vulnerable and I intend to tighten things up and
mark FORBIDDEN soon.

Tech high-level detail, I wrote, in
<http://vuxml.freebsd.org/freebsd/803879e9-4195-11e7-9b08-080027ef73ec.ht=
ml>:

> Brandon Perry reports:
>=20
> [There] is a zip file of EXR images that cause segmentation faults in t=
he OpenEXR library (tested against 2.2.0).
>=20
> CVE-2017-9110 In OpenEXR 2.2.0, an invalid read of size 2 in the hufDec=
ode function in ImfHuf.cpp could cause the application to crash.
> CVE-2017-9111 In OpenEXR 2.2.0, an invalid write of size 8 in the store=
SSE function in ImfOptimizedPixelReading.h could cause the application to=
 crash or execute arbitrary code.
> CVE-2017-9112 In OpenEXR 2.2.0, an invalid read of size 1 in the getBit=
s function in ImfHuf.cpp could cause the application to crash.
> CVE-2017-9113 In OpenEXR 2.2.0, an invalid write of size 1 in the buffe=
redReadPixels function in ImfInputFile.cpp could cause the application to=
 crash or execute arbitrary code.
> CVE-2017-9114 In OpenEXR 2.2.0, an invalid read of size 1 in the refill=
 function in ImfFastHuf.cpp could cause the application to crash.
> CVE-2017-9115 In OpenEXR 2.2.0, an invalid write of size 2 in the =3D o=
perator function in half.h could cause the application to crash or execut=
e arbitrary code.
> CVE-2017-9116 In OpenEXR 2.2.0, an invalid read of size 1 in the uncomp=
ress function in ImfZip.cpp could cause the application to crash.

The upstream has been informed [1], and there is a proposed unreviewed
patch[2], but the upstream hasn't yet accepted responsibility, only
responded in a non-constructive way that patch, asking for a
contributors license agreement and adjourning to later "see what we can
do" or something, to which the contributor of the fixes answered he's
not doing any further work for lack of progress.[2]

[1]: <https://github.com/openexr/openexr/issues/232>;

[2]: <https://github.com/openexr/openexr/pull/233>;

Bottom line, to me, OpenEXR looks abandonware and we need to prepare for
getting rid of it, but I don't want to pull the rug from underneath your
feet without advance warning.

I have written to Ed Hanway of IL&M today to ask about the support
status, and have recently committed a DEPRECATED with an EXPIRATION_TIME
of EOY which I am willing to extend to 2018-03-31 for any straw or
halfway reasonable cause that either of you is going to present, after
which I suggest we nuke OpenEXR support in the ports tree for good, and
I intend to mark the port FORBIDDEN soon enough.

How should we proceed?

- are all of your ports good without OpenEXR, and support, for instance,
16-bit TIFF?

- are there OpenEXR alternatives that your ports could use and that we
could move

- is either of your ports dependent on OpenEXR to be useful?

- is anyone aware of another vendor auditing patches or actively
distributing patches for OpenEXR, or a patched version, that they are
supporting, and that we could rely on?
I am loathe to use unaudited third party patches.

This is a list generated from http://freshports.org/graphics/OpenEXR,
sorted by maintainer - to me this appears to be the list of
maintainer/port_origin pairs of ports that require OpenEXR by default.

Thanks for your time.

Regards,
Matthias