Date:      Sat, 26 Oct 1996 19:53:44 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
To:        Nick Esborn <nick@grayphics.com>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Current state of SMP support on FreeBSD

On Sat, 26 Oct 1996, Nick Esborn wrote:

> On Sat, 26 Oct 1996, Chuck Robey wrote:
>
> > Understand, Nick, that everyone doing it isn't trying to meet any
> > schedule, and there is quite a bit of experimentation going on.  If it
> > took less than 2 months go get things going, I'd be shocked, but I
> > wouldn't be too shocked if it took a year.  Between those limits, it's not
> > terrifically predictable.  There's a smallish group that actually has dual
> > processors for experimentation (I'll be doing it soon :-) ), and this
> > slows things too.
>
> Yeah, I understand.  I know nobody's getting paid for their work on
> FreeBSD, and that donations aren't too common.  I don't have two CPUs
> yet, just the board, and I'll probably need to buy two new, identical CPUs
> when I'm ready to try SMP anyway, so it's not a big deal.  I am very
> excited about SMP in FBSD though.

I was thinking when I read this that it's an odd inversion: for the
developers, and those following smp development closely, NOW is the
exciting time, when things are beginning to work, and discoveries are
being made.  In a year from now, it won't be nearly so exciting, I think,
but perhaps smp will just lead to new avenues.  At that time, I guess the
excitement will be open to users.

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |