Date:      Thu, 04 Feb 1999 15:24:33 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        "Kaleb S. KEITHLEY" <kaleb@ics.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ldconfig and libraries

> ROTFLMAO. You (collectively) don't have any trouble taking the heat for,
> e.g. the lack of SVR4-style rc/init, event though some number of people
> want it.

I think you're going after John rather unfairly over this considering
that it was he who had his mind rudely changed by a veritable tide of
complaints when he himself suggested (and very much wanted) that
ldconfig be terminated with extreme prejudice.  I also don't see
bringing up the SVR4 rc/init as anything more than a complete
non-sequitur invoked, for some bizarre reason, in defense of your
cause.

John's willingness or unwillingness has nothing to do with it here and
he made that quite plain in his original reply.  He's already taken
the heat over this issue once and he doesn't want to take heat over it
it again, period.  Since you're not paying him anything, you have no
leverage to get him to willingly suffer pain for little perceived gain
and screaming about it in the mailing lists will merely get you
procmailed by he and anyone else who's tired of listening to screams.
Not that being procmailed would be much of a new experience for you,
Kaleb, so that's probably not much of a threat. :-)

- Jordan