Date:      Wed, 30 Oct 1996 14:57:16 +0000 ()
From:      hmmm <hmmm@alaska.net>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        freebsd-questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ftp rates

On Tue, 29 Oct 1996, Doug White wrote:

> Point being?
> was this part of the previous discussion on this?

yes.  i noted my rates were pretty far off, and "gpalmer" asked me to try
different files sizes, larger ones than my original post.

and keep in mind, that my ACTUAL transfer rates (pure byte rates
without regard to retransmissions) are about 250 bytes/second, far
below 9600 bps.

> > 9600bps to ISP ~ 1000 bytes/sec MAX ... MTU=1500
> >
> > 5000b  = 00.01s @ 781.12k/s
> > 10000b = 00.11s @ 090.62k/s

^^^^^
> The problem with these is that the time sample (less than 1 sec) isn't
> really enough to establish a good value.

^^^^^
actually, it took a 20 - 45 seconds for the small transfers!

> > 25000b = 09.47s @ 002.58k/s
> > 50000b = 35.47s @ 001.38k/s

^^^^^
> You are not running at 9600bps. :)  Or modem data compression is helping
> you more than you think.

^^^^^
NO, i have no compression whatsoever (other than PPP header), and i have
all baud rates set at 9600, ie, NOT 19200, etc.

i'm just trying to be helpful - i'm not trying to "cut anything down".