Date:      Thu, 17 May 2001 10:41:09 +0100
From:      Pete French <pfrench@firstcallgroup.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems with COmpaq oonboard Symbios SCSI

I'm running FreeBSD on a Compaq Workstation Pro 400. The
Compaq motherboard has an onboard Sybmios SCSI controller (like so
many COmpaqs do) but also came with a SMART-2LS RAID controller
which is what is being used to boot from.

Now this all works fine, except for the fact that if I try to reboot
the machine it requires the power to be physically turned off before
it will boot again. If the machine is warm reset it will not get past
the point in the BIOS where the onboard SCSI controller scans for drives.
It simply freezes at that point and will not go any further.

I first assumed that this was due to something odd the sym driver was
doing when probing the device, so I built a kernel without it in. Same
effect occurs :-(

I;m currently running 4.2-STABLE on the machine (from a few days after
the release) but the effect has existed since 4.2-RELEASE

Anybody else seeing this ?

-pcf.