Date:      Mon, 26 Nov 2001 07:57:14 -0600
From:      jacks@sage-american.com
To:        "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>, "Stephen Hovey" <shovey@buffnet.net>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: this spam

...well, here we go again:

"...as a mailserver admin, have to expend to delete that same message
for ALL of them...."

That's getting too close to censorship to suit me. You never know where
that decision to filter ends depending on the person or his own abberations.

"...please shut the fuck up about it and stop harming the efforts..."

That kind of talk is offensive to me and is as bad as the spam (which I
just delete and get on with other stuff). While I've noticed you get on the
"soapbox" a lot (every day) and dictate behavior to people on just about
everything, try to use better language! Just help, without scolding
everyone so much and clean up the talk! ...just another opinion and nothing
personal!

I'm beginning to believe your soapboxing is spam in disguise... ...book
sales perhaps? ...hmmm... maybe your ad at the footer of very message makes
me think that...?

At 12:40 AM 11.26.2001 -0800, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> [...]
OK,
>that's your choice.  However, in today's Internet environment, clearly the
>Right Thing to do is for spam filtering to be centralized on the mailserver,
>that way you don't have a thousand users re-inventing the wheel, duplicating
>each other's spam filters.  It's illogical to argue in favor of users being
>responsible for spam filtration because the amount of effort they have to
>expend
>in total to deal with a single spam message is far, far greater than the
>effort
>that you, as a mailserver admin, have to expend to delete that same message
>for
>ALL of them.
>
>Spammers depend on convincing the majority of admins on the Internet to have
>the
>same fatalistic attitude that you do, in short that there's nothing that you
>can do about spam and so you might as well give up and blame the users for
>complaining about it.  All your doing by posting messages of this type is
>postponing
>the day that the rest of us who are willing to do something can get the
>Internet
>cleaned up of all these spammers.  While I'll be the first to say that it's
>your
>right to ignore spam, please shut the fuck up about it and stop harming the
>efforts
>of others that are working to get it reduced and eliminated, by spreading
>your "give up the spammers have won" attitude.
>

>Ted Mittelstaedt                                       tedm@toybox.placo.com
>Author of:                           The FreeBSD Corporate Networker's Guide
>Book website:                          http://www.freebsd-corp-net-guide.com

Best regards,
Jack L. Stone,
Server Admin