Date:      Tue, 21 Jul 1998 00:56:18 -0700
From:      Joe McGuckin <joe@via.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   mount -o sync question

The default mode of ufs filesystems is 'sync'?

Yet if I examine the state of the mounted filesystem using the mount
command, no indication is given of a filesystems (sync vs. async) state.

Yet if I deliberately set the mode to 'sync', mount will now indicate that
the filesystems are mounted synchronously.

www# mount
/dev/sd0a on / (local)
/dev/sd0s1f on /usr (local, synchronous)
/dev/sd0s1e on /var (local)
procfs on /proc (local)
/dev/sd1s1e on /home1 (local, synchronous)

Why is this? This would seem to indicate the 'sync' is not really
the default state of a filesystem (or at least that the sync 'bit'
in whatever data structure that represents a mount point isn't
normally set).

Joe