Date:      Tue, 11 Jan 2000 14:06:59 +1100
From:      Harry Woodward-Clarke <Harry.Woodward-Clarke@S1.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: you'll like this.,.. maybe (Seriously Off Topic...)

Hi,

my thrippence worth ;')

> Interesting.
>
> I once saw an EDS ATM machine at 7-Eleven reboot after a power failure.
> The little screen showed that it was a 386 machine with 16MB ram. It
> complained about not having a keyboard connected, then booted (of all
> things) OS/2, loaded the program manager (which looked like Windows
> 3.0) and then the ATM application...

Some express some surprise at ATMs using OS/2. A friend of mine here in
Oz, who used to work for Philips (when they had a rpesence here in Oz)
looked after many of the banks ATMs here, and he said that they pretty
much all (until recently) used OS/2. Let's face it, it's a heck of a lot
more stable than MeSsy-DOG and friends ;')

He even showed me a magical incantation on the keypad to force a reboot
and another to take the machine 'off-line' ;') So, when his bank ticked
him off, he could retaliate :') :'D

I've heard that some newer ATMs are now using WinNT, but by far the
largest installed base at the moment is OS/2 - 'More than half an
Operating System' ;')

On a similar topic - I've noticed a few 'Kiosk' style information
booths, with touch-screen pc's in them. Far too many have been sitting
at the BSoD :'/

Anyway, I have to get back to wrestling with NT - it's a dirty job, and
I wish I didn't have to do it.

|-|