Date:      Mon, 3 Jul 2000 14:21:52 -0500
From:      "Josh Paetzel" <jpaetzel@hutchtel.net>
To:        "Generic Player" <generic@unitedtamers.com>, <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: amd k6-2 550 vs p2 300

I you would read my messages a little more closely.  What I said was, "maybe
you are seeing the results of a real-world benchmark."  What I meant by that
was, if windows is faster at something, isn't that a real world benchmark
telling you that it is faster?

  Real world benchmarks would
> be starting up a UT demo and seeing what framerates you get.

Right....and my p2 is faster than aforementioned K6-2.

> > For the things that I do with FBSD I don't see alot of
> difference between a
> > K6-2 and a P2, either. But then, I don't see much difference between a
> > classic pentium 100 and a P3-600, either.  Most of the things I
> do with FBSD
> > put very little load on the CPU.  Mostly I see the disk
> subsystem and the
> > memory subsystem being worked.
> >
> > For instance, I have the old www.stomped.com web server sitting
> here, and
> > its a K6-233.  (stuffed with RAM, though) I didn't get the
> disks, but I bet
> > they weren't 5400 rpm IDEs.  ;)
> >
> Compile times on Freebsd are not noticably different between AMD and
> Intel chips, they are on windows.  Quake 3 framerates are only 5 fps
> different for me in freebsd vs 17 in windows.
>
> > Windows IS a resource hog, and it does use a lot more CPU time
> than FBSD.
> > Maybe that is why you notice a big difference in performance
> between OSs.  I
> > have little love for M$crosoft, but I find it hard to believe that they
> > deliberately mangle the OS to run slower on a specific chip.
> >
> > Josh
>
> Its not a matter of mangling anything, its that they highly optimize it
> for Intel chips, and don't bother to do anything for AMD chips.  I don't
> hate MS, I'm just telling you there is a noticable difference running
> AMD vs Intel on windows compared to any other OS.
>
> And I think you are in fact getting confused about the cache issue.
> Socket designs do not allow for off die cache unless it is located on
> the motherboard.  There is simply no other place for it.  The only cache
> running at 100 MHz is on your motherboard.  Any on die cache runs full
> speed.

Exactly...that is why K6-2 L2 cache runs at 100mghz and P2 cache runs at 1/2
core speed.
  And only intel is going back to socket 370, AMD uses super
> socket 7 and socket A.  That's why k-6 III's were outperforming the old
> Xeons in cache intensive apps, it still has on on die cache at full core
> speed, where as slot xeons have off die cache.

So now we are talking about K6-3s?  I suppose those are way faster than P3s,
too.  :)
Josh