Date:      Fri, 27 Oct 1995 21:27:50 +0200 (EET)
From:      "Andrew V. Stesin" <stesin@elvisti.kiev.ua>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MOXA C104+ 4-port serial card -- runs good for me.

#
# >I couldn't find a way to set where interrupt register lives using
# >flags in sio.c without stupid hacking it (FreeBSD-2.0.5 from CD),
# >and finally I threw this register somewhere to a "safe" unused place,
# >and configured the MOXA card as BOCA
# >card (told sio.c that interrupt register is not present at all).
# >Could I solve this better?
#
# You solved it right.  BOCA cards have an interrupt register too, but
# it isn't used because no one has written the code to use it and
# using it would be unportable.  Not using the interrupt register
# costs about 20 usec per interrupt to poll all the ports.
#
	What will be a Good Official Way of making sio.c smart
	about  the location of the interrupt register
	(and this way generalizing support for MOXA, AST-4, ARNET-8,
	BOCA boards -- each have one but at different
	or tunable location)?

	What about two upper bytes of device flags in config
	file with zero value means interrupt register is _really_ missed?

# Bruce
#

--

	With best regards -- Andrew Stesin.

	+380 (44) 2760188	+380 (44) 2713457	+380 (44) 2713560

	"...Good marketing beats good technology, every time". True?