Date:      Mon, 14 Jul 2014 15:40:02 +0300
From:      Daniel Kalchev <daniel@digsys.bg>
To:        javocado <javocado@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Filesystems <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Using 2 SSD's to create a SLOG

On 11.07.14 22:18, javocado wrote:
> Thank you for your feedback. We understand that the devices are
> mirrored and tolerant.
> To further my understanding, confirm that I should be able to yank one
> of the SLOG SSD drives and zfs won't care, and I can subsequently
> replace it (issuing what command?) and zfs will then re-mirror it? And
> if both drives are removed then only the sync data would be lost? But
> if the drives are restored, or in the case of a power loss when the
> server comes back up, the sync data on the SSD's will be processed
> once zfs starts?

As the SLOG is only ever read at system boot time (actually, when
importing the pool), there is no chance you lose data if both of your
SLOG drives die *while the system is still running*. If this happens,
ZFS will simply work as if no SLOG was configured.

The only possible time you can lose data due to SLOG is if your system
is suddenly restarted and *both* drives die before it boots. Then, any
data that was not committed to the other disks, but still in SLOG will
be lost. ZFS integrity should not be impacted and any older data should
still be intact.

Of course, bugs happen: the above is what should happen in absence of bugs.

Daniel