Date:      Fri, 2 Nov 2001 09:04:28 -0700
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        Jens Schweikhardt <schweikh@schweikhardt.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD SCSI <freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: DDYS not ready

On Fri, Nov 02, 2001 at 11:49:51 +0100, Jens Schweikhardt wrote:

> hello, world\n
>
> after almost 7 months of flawless operation, my IBM DDYS T 18GB drive
> connected to an on-board ahc0: <Adaptec aic7880 Ultra SCSI adapter>
> refused to work. When I enter the Adaptec SCSI BIOS and try a verify
> media this is what the BIOS prints:
>
> Unexpected SCSI Command Failure
>
> Target SCSI ID:        9
> SCSI CDB sent:         03 00 00 00 0E 00 70 00 02 00
> Host Adapter Status:   00h - no host adapter error
> Target Status:         02h - Check Condition
> Sense Key:             02h - not ready
> +Sense Code:           04h
> +Sense Code Qualifier: 00h
>
> I've unplugged/replugged all connectors since then to eliminate faulty
> contacts. The drive has been cooled with its own fan and been operated
> only a few hours per day.

It might have been better to keep it running all the time, to avoid
starting/stopping the drive a lot.

> Is it time to get an RMA number from Big Blue?

They've got a drive testing utility that you can download from their
support site.  If you want to RMA the drive to them, it's a lot easier if
you have a failure code number from that utility.  (They even have a web
page interface for getting an RMA number.)

It's basically a floppy image that you dump on a floppy.  It has IBM DOS
on board and drivers for a wide variety of SCSI controllers.  It'll run
some tests and tell you if it can find anything wrong with the drive.

From my experience, it won't necessarily show problems that FreeBSD can
show under high load.

(I solved that by warm booting from FreeBSD after the problem occurred onto
the floppy -- the utility detected the problem then.)

Anyway, the sense code qualifier up there means cause not reportable.  So
there's really no good way to figure out what's going on from that
error code.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry