Date:      Wed, 12 Jan 2000 00:44:28 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To:        mb@imp.ch (Martin Blapp)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: move portmap(8) from /usr/sbin to /sbin

> > > portmap(8) and therefore mountd(8) should be started before
> > > the nfs filesystems get mounted. But because portmap(8) is in
> > > /usr/sbin , users with a nfs mounted /usr filesystem or with
> > > diskless filesystems will have big problems.
>
> I mean, that if I do the change of startup-order, diskless
> installations will be broken.
>
> > > This will fix loopback and local mounts in fstab. Untill now
> > > this has not been possible because of the above reasons. Btw:
> > > Linux also has portmap(8) installed in /sbin.
>
> > You only need portmap and mountd to _export_ nfs, not to mount
> > them.
>
> For a normal installation this is ok, but as I said, diskless
> installs ...

Lets see, your booting diskless during the install, which means you have
no disk to export until you have fdisk/newfs'ed one, your not going to
get very far without /usr in this process.

So no disk, so just what is it that you are exporting???

--
Rod Grimes - KD7CAX @ CN85sl - (RWG25)               rgrimes@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net