Date:      Tue, 3 Aug 2010 19:38:12 +0200
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        Joshua Coats <joshu@rescomp.berkeley.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ipsec and zfs on FreeBSD 8.1 -- kernel problem

--FL5UXtIhxfXey3p5

On Tue, Aug 03, 2010 at 08:40:52AM -0700, Joshua Coats wrote:
> I've been experimenting with a FreeBSD 8.1 build, booting with a root in=
=20
> zfs, but I've found a problem with the kernel:  using the generic kernel=
=20
> works fine, but this particular server needs ipsec enabled, and the=20
> kernel I built with ipsec support for some reason can't mount the zfs=20
> partitions, despite loading what I believe are the necessary kernel=20
> modules (zfs.ko, opensolaris.ko) at startup.

I'm assuming you're booting from a UFS /boot? Otherwise you'd need to build
the required modules into the kernel.

Maybe you need to build/install a zfs-enabled bootloader? I see some code in
/usr/src/sys/boot/i386/zfsboot/ and /usr/src/sys/boot/i386/zfsloader/, but =
I'm
not a ZFS user.

> Does special zfs support need to be built into the kernel?  The only=20
> modifications from the generic kernel for the ipsec kernel I'm using=20
> are:
>=20
> options IPSEC
> options IPSEC_FILTERTUNNEL
> device crypto
>=20
> This specific kernel config worked fine on FreeBSD 7.3, so I'm at a=20
> loss.

When building a custom kernel, _always_ start from a GENERIC kernel from the
release you're using. There have been changes between 7.3 and 8.1 that you =
are
probably missing.=20

Roland
--=20