Date:      3 Feb 1999 22:28:00 +0100
From:      naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Socializing the use of "BSD" as a term

Eivind Eklund <eivind@FreeBSD.ORG> wrote:

> > I wonder what ye all say about starting a socializing process by
> > which we all refer to FreeBSD, OpenBSD, BSDi, and NetBSD as just
> > "BSD" except where it is needed to differentiate.
>
> I don't think that will work - too many connotations to "BSD",

What's wrong with these? Actually, what connotations did you have in
mind?

> besides which we do not have the trademark.

That concerns official documents.

> However, it is common to refer to the collective as "*BSD".

Which reinforces the impression that BSD is factionalized.

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                  naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de
    carpe librum: books 'n' reviews <URL:http://www.carpe.com/buch/>;