Date:      Mon, 14 Jan 2002 10:59:02 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm-dated-1011423273.2bdf31@mired.org>
Cc:        David Syphers <dsyphers@uchicago.edu>, questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: can't mount / properly, fstab woes

On Mon, 14 Jan 2002, Mike Meyer wrote:

> David Syphers <dsyphers@uchicago.edu> types:
> > On Saturday 12 January 2002 07:40 pm, Chris Fedde wrote:
> > > On Sat, 12 Jan 2002 19:00:02 -0600  David Syphers wrote:
> > I can't.  That's what I meant when I said that "it won't let me mount /
> > read-write."  I tried
> >
> > # mount -u -w /
> > # mount -u -w /dev/ad0s1a
> > # mount -u -w -f /dev/ad0s1a
> >
> > and none of them work.  They all give the error "fstab /etc/fstab :3:
> > inappropriate file type or format".  Why is it looking at fstab anyway, if
> > I've specified the device name?
>
> Because you didn't specify the mount point? I'm not able to test this,
> but I'd suggest:
>
> 1) shutdown -r
> 2) reboot to single user mode
> 3) mount -u -o ro / /dev/ad0s1a

Switch the last two parameters around.

> > > Read only / disk is safe if you are careful and understand what you
> > > are doing.  Remember that security is inversely proportional to
> > > convenience.
> > What did I do that was wrong, then?  All I changed was / to read-only.  This,
> > and this alone, caused my web server to stop functioning.
>
> I'd say you weren't careful enough. Your web server probably needed
> write access to something on /, which it can no longer get. Check the
> web server log files when you have the chance to see what it
> complained about.

...and unless you're using some "enterprise-level" authentication
mechanism, don't expect to be able to change any of your passwords.
Most of the benefits of a read-only / filesystem can be garnered by
careful use of a positive securelevel, with appropriate flags on the
files you want to preserve.

On modesty: whoever said "it's hard being perfect" obviously wasn't me.