Date:      Thu, 19 Apr 2007 20:52:55 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Juergen Lock <nox@jelal.kn-bremen.de>
To:        anderson@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: experimental qemu-devel port update, please test!

In article <46237925.60309@freebsd.org> you write:
>On 04/14/07 12:00, Juergen Lock wrote:

>>> Hmm.. Now, using the vmware driver makes my system either shutdown, or
>>> insta-reboot.  :(
>>
>> You mean -vmwarevga?  Which guest?  And, does the guest crash or the host?
>
>Yea, but I found out it does it whether or not I use the vmwarevga
>option, and seems to be tied to kqemu kldloaded.  I'm still looking at
>it - kind of painful since it crashes my host system.  The guest is a
>etherbooted FreeBSD-current, but it doesn't get far enough to even boot
>the OS in the guest.

Ah so its a kqemu problem?  You may want to post about that on the qemu
list... (You can also disable kqemu by running qemu with -no-kqemu btw.)

 Or, did something in your kernel change maybe that necessitates
a rebuild of the kqemu kld?

>> You could try disabling the
>> 	#define HW_RECT_ACCEL
>> 	#define HW_FILL_ACCEL
>> near the top of hw/vmware_vga.c, a range check is missing in the
>> accellerated case, see
>> 	http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2007-04/msg00136.html
>>> kqemu-kmod-1.3.0.p11 Kernel Acceralator for QEMU CPU Emulator
>>> (development versi
>>> qemu-devel-0.9.0s.20070405_2 QEMU CPU Emulator - development snapshot
>>
>>  Yeah those are the lastest...
>
>I'll try that if I still suspect it.  Although, I can say that without
>kqemu loaded, but the vmwarevga option used, my ethernet device ends up
>with a MAC of FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF.  I can't override it either.

 Thats probably a result of io address overlaps with the emulated nic
caused by the current version of the vmwarevga emulation (the author of
that is currently away afaik, otherwise it probably would have been
fixed already at least in qemu cvs.)  You may be able to get around that
by using the eepro nic emulation.  (sound is also affected btw, see the
mentioned -vmwarevga thread on the qemu list.)

>I'll try some more things, and report back.

 Ok.
	Juergen