Date:      Tue, 11 Jul 2006 08:12:17 -0700 (PDT)
From:      <backyard1454-bsd@yahoo.com>
To:        cknipe@savage.za.org, Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
Cc:        rs@pswl.com, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Re[2]: "Mounting a drive"

Keep in mind here without special device drivers (I've
heard they exist but have never installed any of them)
you will not be able to mount a "Linux" (linux uses
several different file systems) partition under
Windows XP. Disk Manager will allow an NTFS filesystem
directory mount an arbritrary Volume (a file system
windows supports, fat, fat32, ntfs, maybe hpfs) on
your system to overcome the DOS (it is not a Windows
limitation, Microsoft is still running a 16 bit world)
limitation of 26 drives, 24 of which can be
harddrives.

Mounting isn't really a function of the filesystem
(maybe in Linux it is???) but of the vnode system. It
allows a device (any "specially" configured file) with
a known structure to be referenced within the context
of a root directory structure, superceding
(non-destructively...) whatever was in the mounted
directory prior to the mount. In other words it lets
the partition (I'll keep the spcial files simple) be
seen on a filesystem to people with the appropriate
credentials, and by mounting say /foo with say the
special file /dev/da0s1a anything in /foo will no
longer be seen by the vnode system and instead
anything on /dev/da0s1a will be displayed in it's
place.

It would seem that unless you are installing Linux on
an Fat32 filesystem those partitions would be useless
within windows. You wouldn't be able to even edit
configuration files with Windows (the editors that
come with windows) editors because they will add line
feed (maybe it is carridge returns I always mess this
one up) to the text and Linux won't like that.

Any further help with Linux should be in another
mailling list, but if you want to put FreeBSD on one
of those memory sticks I'm sure we would try to
help...

Windows is just about useless, it doesn't even support
the now 5 year old or so 64-bit processors... I highly
doubt you will find anything but headaches doing what
you seem to be attempting to do with Windows and
GNUnix.

good luck

-brian