Date:      Mon, 30 Sep 2002 17:42:59 -0700
From:      Michael Collette <metrol@metrol.net>
To:        Sean O'Neill <sean@seanoneill.info>
Subject:   Re: How to best way to upgrade to KDE3 from ports ?

Sean O'Neill wrote:
> I just noticed that the KDE2 ports are no longer in the ports tree.
>
> What the best way to upgrade to KDE3 from ports ?  Do I need to delete
> KDE2 first and then install KDE3 ?

This is one of those to bring out the big stick for...

pkg_delete -rf qt-*

Not a command to be taken lightly.  It will kill Qt, and ALL things depending
upon it.  Yes, even if you have Qt2 only apps.  Qt2 and Qt3 don't live nicely
together on the same box.

If you have apps you rely upon that are Qt only, such as QCad or Kvirc, they
up and break at this point.  There are some efforts to get these apps up to
their respective Qt3 versions, but I know some of them are far from straight
forward porting projects.

Assuming Qt2 isn't an issue, just pop on over to /usr/ports/x11/kde3 and do
the make install.  You might want to consider grabbing the packages, as this
is a LONG compile.

You can find more details concerning this kinda stuff over at...

http://freebsd.kde.org/

Later on,
--
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark
to read."