Date:      Thu, 15 May 2003 22:39:45 -0700
From:      Andrew Houghton <aah@acm.org>
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   IntelliJ IDEA, JDK 1.4.1-p3, 5.0-p7, "Bad file descriptor"

Before I send this off to IntelliJ, I thought I'd try here to see if
anyone has any ideas.  For those of you who don't use IDEA, it seems to
come down to an exception when the IDE does creates files itself -- by
copying jars around or compiling source files, for instance.

When I first create a project in the IDE, and the jar files are copied
to the ~/.IntelliJIdea  cache directory, I'm getting little dialog boxes
that somethine like "Cannot copy <some file name> to
/usr/home/aah/.IntelliJIdea/system/jars/<some file name>: Bad file
descriptor".  When I look in the .../system/jars directory, everything
looks fine.

I'm also seeing this when I try compilations on projects.  I see the
compilation proceed and I see errors and warnings -- briefly -- showing
source paths and line numbers.  Somewhere in the middle of the
compilation, most (but not all) of those error references go away and
the lines say 'Bad file descriptor'.

Does anyone else using IDEA see this?

Are there any known problems with the native JDK that might immediately
be the culprit?

Thanks,

Andrew