Date:      Sun, 18 May 2008 12:33:51 +0200
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Johan_Str=F6m?= <johan@stromnet.se>
To:        Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
Cc:        Alex Trull <alex@trull.org>, freebsd-pf@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: connect(): Operation not permitted

On May 18, 2008, at 9:19 AM, Matthew Seaman wrote:

> Johan Str=F6m wrote:
>
>> drop all traffic)? A check with pfctl -vsr reveals that the actual =20=

>> rule inserted is "pass on lo0 inet from 123.123.123.123 to =20
>> 123.123.123.123 flags S/SA keep state". Where did that "keep state" =20=

>> come from?
>
> 'flags S/SA keep state' is the default now for tcp filter rules -- =20
> that
> was new in 7.0 reflecting the upstream changes made between the 4.0 =20=

> and 4.1
> releases of OpenBSD.  If you want a stateless rule, append 'no state'.
>
> http://www.openbsd.org/faq/pf/filter.html#state

Thanks! I was actually looking around in the pf.conf manpage but =20
failed to find it yesterday, but looking closer today I now saw it.
Applied the no state (and quick) to the rule, and now no state is =20
created.
And the problem I had in the first place seems to have been resolved =20
too now, even though it didn't look like a state problem.. (started to =20=

deny new connections much earlier than the states was full, altough =20
maybee i wasnt looking for updates fast enough or something).

Anyways, thanks to all helping me out, and of course thanks to =20
everybody involved in FreeBSD/pf and all for great products! Cannot be =20=

said enough times ;)=