Date:      Fri, 21 Apr 2006 09:24:24 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        "[LoN]Kamikaze" <LoN_Kamikaze@gmx.de>
Cc:        Gregers Petersen <gp.ioa@cbs.dk>, vittorio <vdemart1@tin.it>, freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Activating acpi on a thinkpad R51

> Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 09:02:39 +0200
> From: "[LoN]Kamikaze" <LoN_Kamikaze@gmx.de>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
>
> Gregers Petersen wrote:
> > vittorio wrote:
> >> I wonder what steps should I take using the battery to make my
> >> thinkpad R51 go to stand-by or suspend (by the way, what's the
> >> difference between suspend & stand-by?) when I close the lid and what
> >> should I do  to resume the suspended  session?
> >
> > If you take a quick look through the archives, of the last 3 months, you
> > will find a thread which discusses this problem --> there is a patch for
> > the agp
> >
> > http://www.FreeBSD.org/~jhb/patches/agp_cvs.patch
> >
> > , which after some re-compile business makes it possible to resume from
> > suspend + there is also a dpms patch which increases the suspend time
> > (battery time).
> >
> > http://people.freebsd.org/~jhb/patches/acpi_video_dpms.patch
> >

> > I'm myself using a R51 ...
> >

> Will this patch ever get into stable?

For systems with Radeons, it is probably better to use radeontool from
ports. It reportedly reduces power consumption below the levels seen
with the DPMS patch and also allows you to power down the DAC for the
video connector.

You do need to add it to rc.suspend and (most important) to rc.resume.

I just add:
if [ -x /usr/local/bin/radeontool ]; then
        radeontool light off|on
        radeontool dac off|on
fi
depending on whether it's the suspend or the resume file.

If you are on better, you probably want to simply leave the DAC off,
though. You should be able to do this with devd, but I have not tried
it.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)