Date:      Mon, 7 Oct 2002 17:18:15 -0700
From:      "Eric Parusel" <lists@globalrelay.net>
To:        "Socketd" <db@traceroute.dk>, "Doug Hardie" <bc979@lafn.org>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Secure FTPd

> > > Eehhh? CuteFtp can use SSL, so when they want to
connect, cuteftp first
> > > handle the SSL setup and then acts like a normal ftp
client.

> > Could be.  I haven't chased through ssh well enough to
know how they do
> > it.  It would be handy to have a SSL ftpd so if you do
it, make it
> > available.
>
> You can both connect to a ssh- and a SSL ftp-server with
cuteftp, but it
> is not the same thing. If the only way to get a sftpd is
to run stunnel
> and ftpd, then I will make a SSL-ftpd under the BSD
license (when I get
> the programming knowledge to do so).
>
> Br
> socketd

Hmm, I think you two *may* be doing down the wrong path...
There's a (proposed) standard for encrypted FTP, it's called
FTP over TLS ...

Here's a link:
http://www.ford-hutchinson.com/~fh-1-pfh/ftps-ext.html

According to the web page there are 19 available client
implementations (Including CuteFTP Pro) and 17 available
server implementations.

I personally use FTP over TLS (CuteFTP Pro and proftpd
w/Peter Runestig's TLS patches, as well as the new mod_tls
developed by TJ Castaglia, derived from the former) and
recommend it fully!

Hope I helped,

Eric Parusel