Date:      Sun, 23 Feb 1997 19:57:12 -0400 (AST)
From:      The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        "John R. Martz" <jrmartz@ibm.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux versus FreeBSD???

On Sun, 23 Feb 1997, John R. Martz wrote:

> on the differences between FreeBSD and Linux? One difference I'm really
> curious about is that I see lots of Linux books published, but haven't
> found one for FreeBSD yet.

	Look for books on BSD, BSD 4.4(lite) in particular...

> Can someone post some comments that will help me better understand the
> pro's and con's in going with either Linux or FreeBSD? Probably the answer
> is "It depends" ... but that's OK since right now I don't even know what
> the choice might depend on. ;-)

	You might want to check the mailing list archives, as I've seen
this question asked many times...

	...But, a personal opinion.

	I'm maintainer/co-ordinator for the PostgreSQL RDBMS and the only
operating system that we have major porting problems with is Linux...everything
else is general small issues.  The *main* pro of FreeBSD in that light is
its distribution(s)...there is only one, maintained through ftp.cdrom.com
and mirrors.  Linux has, what, 6 different ones now?  And each of those has
slight quirks to what they feel is 'correct'.  ie one of the is missing
prototypes for a slew of standard C-lib functions, while another requires
you to ftp in libdl.a seperately from the distribution, etc.

	I have a few friends that swear by Linux, and I personally think
that its what you become used to/feel comfortable with.  I went from
a Linux system to a BSDi system to a FreeBSD system over the past few
years, mainly because Linux (at that time) was completely unstable,
and from BSDi to FreeBSD because I like having the source code...

	YMMV...