Date:      Mon, 1 Jul 2002 21:18:42 +0200
From:      Mindaugas <mindaugas77@delfi.lt>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   about kernel and /boot/defaults/loader.conf

Hello,

   I have a quistion..
   Scenario:
   I have FreeBSD box 4.5 and it act as gateway (my network goes to
   internet thruoght the BSD box and aDSL modem) using NATD. For aDSL modem I
   using in kernel:
   options NETGRAPH
   options NETGRAPH_PPP
   options NETGRAPH_PPPoE
For firewall:
   options IPFIREWALL
   options IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE
   options IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE_LIMIT=100
   options IPDIVERT

   Now I downloaded FreeBSD 4.6 and I saw in
   /boot/defaults/loader.conf options such as:
if_tun_load="NO"                # Tunnel driver (user process ppp)
ipfw_load="NO"                  # Firewall

ng_ppp_load="NO"                # PPP protocol netgraph node type
ng_pppoe_load="NO"              # RFC 2516 PPPOE protocol netgraph node type

Question:
Shud I recompile kernel (in FreeBSD 4.6) with these options like in
bsd 4.5 or it is enougnt to make "YES" to all them in /boot/defaults/loader.conf

What is the diference? (kernel or /boot/defaults/loader.conf)
What is better? (recompile kernel or make "YES" in
/boot/defaults/loader.conf")

Sorry for my English...

--
  Mindaugas                           mindaugas77@delfi.lt