Date:      Fri, 27 Dec 96 11:58:19 -0600
From:      Greg Barniskis <gregb@scls.lib.wi.us>
To:        "Bradley Dunn" <bradley@dunn.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Allen Hyer" <allenh@wtrt.net>
Subject:   Re: de ethernet driver stomps SMC 10/100

Bradley Dunn said:
>If your EtherPower has the "new" chipset instead of the "old" chipset, it
>will not work with the current de driver. I don't know exactly how to tell
>what chipset you have, but if your card came with a special "Read Me
>First" yellow paper, check that paper. If the paper says something about
>the old drivers not working you have the "new" chipset.

There was no special "Read Me First", but the card was purchased recently.

Allen Hyer said:
>I had a similar problem.
>What did make a big difference was to reconfigure the kernel so that it
>didn't do any other probes on the same irq as the ether card.

Further tweaking to get the card set up on different IRQs has made no
difference. The card gets detected on the current IRQ, then dies. I've
got the kernel stripped down to essentials plus ahc0 and de0.

Is anyone working on a driver update for the new SMC chipset?

Thanks for the info!

Greg Barniskis                   gregb@scls.lib.wi.us
Network Administrator                  (608) 266-6394
Library Interchange NetworK (LINK)      fax: 266-6068
South Central Library System (SCLS)       Madison, WI