Date:      Mon, 29 Aug 2005 20:12:12 -0700
From:      "K Anderson" <freebsduser@comcast.net>
To:        "Nikolas Britton" <nikolas.britton@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Which version and other updating questions

----- Original Message -----

Hey great stuff, but it would still be nice to see a build version in the
Make file like the port maintainers do.

>> And UPDATING has  NOTE TO PEOPLE WHO THINK THAT FreeBSD 7.x IS SLOW:....
>> But
>> that's not helpful because it just tells me that I could inadvertently
>> fetch
>> 7.x stuff (which I probably just did since I have tag=.).
>
>It tells you that you *did* fetch 7.x stuff

Ugh, not a big deal though. I'll take your recommendations that you had
below and correct the situation. Thanks again.

>> uname -a reported 6.0-CURRENT (Gack current, doh *feint*).
>>
>> Here's what my cvsupme5 file looks like ---
>> *default host=cvsup7.FreeBSD.org
>> *default base=/usr
>> *default prefix=/usr
>> *default release=cvs tag=.
>> *default delete use-rel-suffix
>>
>> src-all
>> ports-all
>>

>> Let me guess, since I'm using tag=. (Otherwise known as HEAD) it's going
>> get what ever is bleeding edge?
>
>Yes.
>

>> Should I change that to tag=RELENG_6 (In hopes that cvsup doesn't grab
>> bleeding edge stuff)?
>
>Yes and remove "ports-all", one supfile for ports and one supfile for
>system, here is my systems supfile:
>*default host=cvsup12.us.FreeBSD.org
>*default base=/var/db
>*default prefix=/usr
>*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_6
>*default delete use-rel-suffix
>*default compress
>src-all
>
>And here is my ports supfile:
>*default host=cvsup12.us.FreeBSD.org
>*default base=/var/db
>*default prefix=/usr
>*default release=cvs tag=.
>*default delete use-rel-suffix
>*default compress
>ports-all
>
>The Ports system has no cvs branches, it is always HEAD.
>
>You can also check here for FreeBSD branch tags:
>http://www.freebsd.org/releng/index.html

Another good URL. Ugh, were did you learn all these little things from?