Date:      Mon, 26 Feb 2007 12:11:32 +0100
From:      Fluffles <etc@fluffles.net>
To:        Paul van der Linden <msn@paultjuh.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hardware supported?

Paul van der Linden wrote:
> Fluffles wrote:
>> Onboard RAID does not really exist. The actual RAID is done by drivers;
>> onboard RAID is actually software RAID with a minor RAID BIOS which can
>> write metainformation about the array configuration and has BIOS
>> bootstrap support. This is also called "fake RAID". FreeBSD does support
>> some fake RAID metainformation though, by reading the metainfo from the
>> disks and assigning it's own software RAID-mechanism to it. For
>> information of which metainformation formats are supported, checkout the
>> ataraid(4) manpage:
>> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=ataraid&apropos=0&sektion=4&manpath=FreeBSD+6.2-RELEASE&format=html
>>

> Thank you, what are the disadvantages of a fake RAID?

No hardware acceleration and you are bound to the motherboard or similar
chipset with RAID controller. So if your motherboard dies, you cannot
just use another motherboard, since this motherboard will likely have
another chipset which uses another metadata structure. Thus, you will
have trouble getting your data back if you are unexperienced.

The only thing fake RAID does implement is proper boot support; if that
is not required then i strongly advise you to use software RAID
(gstripe) instead; to be more flexible and hardware-independent.

> I was planning to setup my server with raid 1, But will it still boot
> when 1 harddisk fails?

Yes, this will actually work with both fake RAID (onboard RAID) and
software RAID. Because with RAID1, you can boot off both disks, or the
logically created array. Once booted, FreeBSD should identify the RAID
volume and act appropriately. If one disk is missing, it will not update
it, so you will be running in a degraded mode.

If ataraid(4) does not support writing metadata for the fake RAID
controller, you will have to reboot and 'rebuild' your volume in the
controller BIOS. This is of course more troublesome then with software
RAID. If FreeBSD supports writing the metadata format, however, no
reboot is necessary and you can rebuild with atacontrol(4).

- Veronica