Date:      Sun, 12 Oct 1997 16:48:08 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Arjan de Vet <Arjan.deVet@adv.IAEhv.nl>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   2.2-stable and /usr/sbin/ncrcontrol: still problems

In article <19970731221830.00759@mi.uni-koeln.de> Stefan Esser wrote:

>On Jul 31, Mike Burgett <mburgett@cmnsens.zoom.com> wrote:
>> I've been on a schedule of CVSup'ing 2.2-stable daily, and doing a 'make world
>> install' every week or so.  So far so good.  This morning, I did my weekly
>> build, and built a new kernel, and rebooted, so everything should be in sync.
>>
>> However, when I tried running '/usr/sbin/ncrcontrol -i', I get 'incompatible
>> with kernel. Rebuild!'
>
>The problem is that "ncrcontrol" accesses some data structure
>in the kernel, and whenever a kernel is built with a different
>definition of that structure, ncrcontrol has to be rebuilt, too.
>
>> Is there something I'm missing here, or should this work?  I've not tried
>> using it before, so I have no idea if/when it ever worked here.
>
>Could you send me your kernel config file ?
>Kernel config options may effect the size of the above mentioned
>data structure, and the compilation of ncrcontrol can't guess the
>build directory of your kernel, and thus doesn't know which options
>you use in your kernel ...

I still see the same problem, even with GENERIC kernel configurations on
both 2.2.1-RELEASE and 2.2-STABLE from a few days ago. I patched
ncrcontrol to print the kernel_version and ncr_version variables:

Release		Config		kernel_version	ncr_version
2.2.1		MYCONFIG	25590		26374
2.2.1		GENERIC		25590		26374

2.2-STABLE	MYCONFIG	22934		23718
2.2-STABLE	GENERIC		22934		23718

Note that in both cases the difference between kernel_version and
ncr_version is 784. I was able to find the computation of ncr_version in
pci/ncr.c but don't know where the kernel_version variable is computed.

>Regards, STefan

Arjan