Date:      Thu, 1 Jun 1995 17:35:37 -0700 (PDT)
From:      julian@TFS.COM (Julian Elischer)
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   I call it the "NT sniper bug". (fwd)

Just say no..
I'm sure we might all bare this one in mind

I bet we'll hear about it sometime

> Date: Mon, 29 May 1995 15:05:06 -0400
> Forwarded-by: bostic@CS.Berkeley.EDU (Keith Bostic)
> Subject: I call it the "NT sniper bug".
>
> Forwarded-by: matthew green <mrg@mame.mu.OZ.AU>
> Forwarded-by: Richard Michael Todd <rmtodd@independence.ecn.uoknor.edu>
> Forwarded-by: randy@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Randall E. Cotton)
>
> langner@seufert.de (Ernst Langner) writes:
>
> > In our network I've sometimes seen the ICMP Message "host unreachable".
> > It was generated by a PC running Windows NT 3.5. There was trafic between
> > two stations e.g. two sun workstations.  The NT PC sends the ICMP message
> > to one of the sun stations unmotivated.  Such messages are normaly
> > generated by gateways, I can't find any reason for a station in a LAN
> > environment to generate such a message. It seems to be a bug.  The sun
> > workstation ignores this ICMP message. But we are using some X terminals
> > too. They believe what the message says and break down a session.
>
> YES, YES, YES!
>
> I just recently saw this here at University of Illinois, Urbana/Champaign.
> I call it the "NT sniper bug". A UNIX software distribution process
> between subnets in different buildings was consistently and inexplicably
> failing at what appeared to be random times. Analysis of the traffic
> (Network General Sniffer) showed the cut connections were due to an ICMP
> type 3 (Destination Unreachable) code 1 (Host Unreachable) packet.
> According to the ICMP spec (RFC792), such packets may only be sent from
> routers. I assumed the source was indeed a router and perhaps there was
> a problem with the network in the other building. When I learned it was
> a PC, I was intrigued to say the least.
>
> After travelling to the other building, tracking down the offending
> machine and seeing that all it was running was NT, I didn't even
> believe my eyes at first ("gotta be an IP address conflict", I said to
> myself, "something else has got to be the culprit"). But thorough
> testing (again, with a Sniffer) prooved it beyond any doubt...
>
> Every once in a while at what appeared to be random intervals, this
> machine was choosing an apparently arbitrary IP packet on the Ethernet
> (regardless of its addressed destination) and generating an ICMP host
> unreachable error packet to its source, dutifully including the first
> portion of the victim packet.
>
> This bug is truly subtle and insidious. It's as if NT, disguised as an
> innocent user-friendly operating system, is surreptitiously playing
> "network sniper", firing off single-packet shots that can trash
> arbitrary TCP connections present on or passing through the immediately
> attached net.  I bet most people that have it don't even know it.
>
> By the way, the reason why it must be a bug is threefold:
>
> First of all, NT shouldn't even be *aware* of traffic that isn't
> addressed to it.
my own theory is that the host being shot at is brave enough to
have sent out a 'arp request' as it's own arp table entry
for the other machine had just timed out... [JRE]
hmm wonder if uSoft want to make all other machines appear unreliable :)