Date:      Wed, 25 Sep 1996 08:53:44 -0600 (GMT-0600)
From:      Victor Manuel Carranza Gonzalez <victor@usac.edu.gt>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Help, please! kernel ppp/trumpet winsock/"address already exist" :(

Hi!

I'm having trouble with "kernel" ppp. After a lot of work (51% of it was
guess-work :), it is working fine, except that sometimes, when a user
dials in, the following message appears at the console screen:

pppd 2.1.2 started by prueba, uid 1001
Using interface ppp0
Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyd0
local IP address 168.234.52.44
remote IP address 168.234.52.45
ioctl(SIOCAIFADDR): Address already exists

After that, the user will still be connected, but no packet routing
will take place, and the user will never see the "My ip address is x.x.x.x"
message in the winsock console screen.

This problem does not occur all the time, but very often.

The client I'm using is Trumpet Winsock version 2.0 (16 bit). The settings
are:

IP Address: 0.0.0.0
nameserver: (my nameserver ip)
Internal PPP
VJ compression ON
baud rate 38400

I think the problem is in the client side... I checked interface
assignments everytime, and seemed normal (i.e. ppp0 is released when the
modem hangs up). My box is not running routed nor gated.

Any help would be highly appreciated. Please CC to my personal account if
you send replies to the list.

|      Victor Manuel Carranza Gonzalez          |
|  Unidad de Internet/Red Cientifico-Educativa  |
| Depto. de Procesamiento Electronico de Datos  |
| Universidad de San Carlos de Guatemala -USAC- |
|e-mail: victor@usac.edu.gt,                    |
|Telefono oficina: (502)4769723 (fax/voz)       |
|                  (502)4767719 (voz)           |
|Telefono casa   : (502)4782916 (502)2891037    |

P.D. I searched the Web looking for information about this, but all pages
that seemed related to my problem were in japanese! It seems like
japaneses love FreeBSD and use it extensively :)