Date:      10 Jul 2001 08:19:09 -0400
From:      Greg Troxel <gdt@fnord.ir.bbn.com>
To:        Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ifconfig wireless card options and DHCP

I currently have a home-grown /etc/pcccard_updown that gets called
with '(insert|remove) wi0' and does lots of stuff; I have other
scripts to set a control file for a 'location' which changes lots of
the behavior.  But there is one problem this doesn't solve, which I
think will require changes to dhclient-script:

I want to be able to configure the laptop to 'just do DHCP', and go
to various places which have different WEP keys, may or may not have
WEP, and may be IBSS rather than infrastructure mode.

So, I'd like dhclient to cycle through these various 'media settings',
just like in the old days how it would change between 10base2 and
10baseT.

Part of the reason I'm not wild about pccard_ether and rc.conf is that
I have about 10 different profiles of addresses etc. depending on
where I am.  With dhclient support for various WEP states and a dhcpd
at each place, though, I could skip most of that.

        Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>