Date:      Sun, 2 Jan 2011 22:45:20 -0800 (PST)
From:      fbsdmail@dnswatch.com
To:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is Gnome2 not supported on the amd64 ARCH?

# # # TOP POSTING IS EVIL # # #

On Sun, January 2, 2011 9:35 am, Luchesar V. ILIEV wrote:
> hw.model: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6400+
> CPUTYPE?=	athlon64
>

> I've never encountered any CPUTYPE specific problems so far, and I have
> GNOME2 and almost 1000 ports compiled on my desktop, plus the OS itself.
>

> I wonder if "athlon-mp" is so different to be causing the problems
> you've encountered or if there was something else that got fixed
> coincidentally when you commented out CPUTYPE from make.conf.

Greetings Luchesar, and thank you for your reply.
 I've got a couple of other threads on the @stable list, and one
other on this one related to this. Last time I researched make(1)
and make.conf(5), the common consensus was that (open)ssl, and
possibly a couple of others were the only things that ever made
use of the flag. However, when I experimented heavily on older
CPU's, I discovered that CPUTYPE?= _did_ make a difference. In
some cases it simply made the difference for correctly recognizing
the CPU, in all cases, it added the "feature set" that that CPU
possessed - SSE, SSE2, 3DNow, etc...
So, I find myself inclined to make use of CPUTYPE?= whenever possible.
Problem is, I don't always keep up on gcc(1)'s changes/additions.
Which I think is the case here. My _guess_ is that they changed the
name(s) - however slightly, and I found out the "hard way". :-\
Bottom line; I need to take the time, and find the difference(s)
from then<--to-->now to use it effectively.

Thanks again for your reply.

--Chris

--
kern: