Date:      Tue, 16 Jun 1998 07:58:07 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        ben@rosengart.com
Cc:        Darren Reed <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.2.6 CD-ROM : Package dependencies up the creek ?

On Wed, Jun 10, 1998 at 12:41:45PM -0400, Snob Art Genre wrote:

> Why is package installation in the install anyway?  It's just as easily
> done when the system is up.  Same with a lot of the configuration stuff
> in the install, don't you think someone setting a system up as a router
> can do it by hand?

It's there for us newbies whose backs you're talking behind here :-)
Hehe, not quite hidden.

So what if you guys have a few minor inconveniences. You can deal with
them. And you have options. A newbie installing freebsd to learn unix has
few options.

After my third attempt to install from CD, running out of disk space
(without being told so) every time, I threw the CD in the bin and booted
DOS. Where were you to tell me it's easy to install packages afterwards?
Where were you to tell me that I could use alt-F2 though I'd need a unix
reference to do anything with it, or that it was OK to install bash but
installing both TeX and Emacs with the X Developer distribution on a 200
meg partition was asking a bit much? The installation either clagged with
screens of programmer-speak or (to my view) completed beautifully but the
installed system wouldn't work right. There was free space, but
apparently more space was needed during the installation. How was I to
know that FreeBSD didn't stop like win3.1 when the disk fills up, or warn
during package selection like OS/2?

All I had was sysinstall, the handbook, and a CD. No people, no Internet,
no nothing, and I threw that damn CD to buggery for a silly out of disk
space problem, that even I could have avoided, had I seen the numbers.

Things might have improved a lot, I haven't installed from CD since a few
versions ago, but at that time I needed everything to be done for me
during installation and I needed more info about space requirements and
much more feedback about what had wrong. It's not the problems that get
to me, it's people trying to fix problems while forgetting that we don't
all have the same skills and resources.

I hope that you experts have a nice Hackerly Correct installation that
will satisfy your philosopy about what's "right". We'll all catch up with
you one day if you make us work hard enough.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-