Date:      Tue, 6 Oct 1998 14:22:42 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Mikael Hybsch <micke@securitydynamics.com>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   981003-BETA installation: ep0 vs. zp0 (+ slip problems)

I was running 2.2.6 on a Toshiba Satellite Pro 480 which has a 3Com
3c589D-COMBO PCMCIA network card. This worked fine with pccard_enable=YES
and the ep0 driver.

The zp0 driver on the 981003-BETA boot floppy detects the 3c589D but fails
to send/receive any data on the TP connector. I also tried to run a 2.2.6
kernel with zp0 with identical result.

Is there a fix for zp0 to make it behave like ep0 with link2 set?

Next I tried to install the BETA using ppp to a nearby host. This somehow
failed so I decided to try slip. (I don't know what I did wrong, but I
reinstalled the same BETA today with ppp and it worked).

The problem with slip is that "ifconfig sl0 ..." always gives the error
"File exists" which causes sysinstall to give up and say that this
installation method isn't available.
This only seems to happen when slattach is running. Even if ifconfig
returns "File exists" it always does what it's told to do.

The workaround I did was to add "|| :" to the "additional arguments to
ifconfig" field. The side effect is that "|| :" is then inserted in the
ifconfig_sl0 parameter in /etc/rc.conf, but I didn't plan to use slip
after installation anyway.

I haven't looked at the sysinstall code, but it seems that a solution is
to run ifconfig before slattach.

--
 Mikael Hybsch                        Email: micke@securitydynamics.com
 Security Dynamics AB                 Phone: +46-8-7250900