Date:      Thu, 18 Mar 1999 15:50:05 +1000
From:      Stephen McKay <syssgm@detir.qld.gov.au>
To:        Tom Embt <tom@embt.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org, syssgm@detir.qld.gov.au
Subject:   Re: P-II vs K6-2

On Tuesday, 16th March 1999, Tom Embt wrote:

>IMO Shopping list should include:
>	Intel Celeron 300A	(either get the retail or buy a seperate fan)
>	Abit BH-6 or BX6-2 motherboard
>	Inwin A-500 ATX midtower case   (if you need an ATX case)
>	64MB of PC100	(beware some stuff marked PC100 is NOT PC100)

Although I agree with everything you have written (from a performance
and value for money point of view), I still buy AMD chips for political
reasons.  Strange, but true.  I just think that Intel are being complete
bastards, and that AMD chips are cheap enough (compared to eating, house
payments and running a car) and work well enough that I can buy them just
to spite Intel.  When the K7 comes out, I might not even have to pick the
poor performer to do so.

FreeBSD runs fine, and I also can attest to many enjoyable wasted hours
playing Half-Life. :-)

Stephen.

PS Further discussion of this aspect (if any) should probably move to -chat.