Date:      Sat, 1 Dec 2001 16:32:26 -0800
From:      Brian Sobolak <sobolak@mindspring.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Exim and DNS - need a hand on DNS config

hi

Short question:

How do I get DNS to publish planetshwoop.com,
instead of just www.planetshwoop.com or magenta.planetshwoop.com?

Longer version (including details):

I'm  trying  to get my mail server working so I can have my email addr
match  my  domain.  I've chosen Exim, which I've setup and configured,
and am running it on 4.4-STABLE.

The exact error message that I'm getting from Exim is (modified to
fit inside this msg)

2001-12-01 14:49:50 16AIx3-0008JV-00 ** \
brian@magenta.planetshwoop.com R=send_to_gateway \
T=remote_smtp: SMTP error from remote mailer after \
end of data: host mail.mindspring.com \
[207.69.200.226]: 550 rejected: cannot \
route to sender <brian@planetshwoop.com>

It's  using  a  remote  SMTP server because earthlink (aka my ISP, aka
mindspring)  does not allow outgoing SMTP - it's blocked at the router
level.  I  have  to use their SMTP servers. So I've configured Exim to
relay to one of the mindspring servers, and that's been working fine.

However,  I  suspect  that  the  550 error message that I'm getting is
because,  as it says, planetshwoop.com doesn't actually appear in DNS.
I  checked  this  from  another network and indeed, when I try to type
"lynx  http://planetshwoop.com"  it doesn't work, but it will work for
www or magenta.planetshwoop.com (the name of the host).

I did the BIND configuration myself, following the instructions
*exactly* from _The Complete FreeBSD Handbook_ by Lehey.  I have
included MX records in my DNS files.

I believe however that I need to get DNS to publish planetshwoop.com,
not just planetshwoop.com or magenta.planetshwoop.com?  What piece of
the DNS config am I missing, or is this Exim problem completely
unrelated?

TIA

brian

--