Date:      Wed, 12 Jan 2000 00:46:15 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Martin Blapp <mb@imp.ch>
Cc:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: move portmap(8) from /usr/sbin to /sbin

:> > portmap(8) and therefore mountd(8) should be started before
:> > the nfs filesystems get mounted. But because portmap(8) is in
:> > /usr/sbin , users with a nfs mounted /usr filesystem or with
:> > diskless filesystems will have big problems.
:
:I mean, that if I do the change of startup-order, diskless
:installations will be broken.
:
:> > This will fix loopback and local mounts in fstab. Untill now
:> > this has not been possible because of the above reasons. Btw:
:> > Linux also has portmap(8) installed in /sbin.
:
:> You only need portmap and mountd to _export_ nfs, not to mount
:> them.
:
:For a normal installation this is ok, but as I said, diskless
:installs ...
:
:Martin

    I do not like the idea of moving portmap or mountd.  An NFS client
    should not have to run either, *even* for diskless boot.

    What's all this about loopback mounts in fstab about?  What does
    that have to do with diskless startup?

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>