Date:      Fri, 5 Mar 2004 19:55:21 +0100
From:      "Nicola Martella" <nicola.martella@telvia.it>
To:        <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   FreeBSD 4.8 on Soekris

I'm currently running FreeBSD 4.8 on a Soekris with Geode's CPU. As i told
you in the last email, i see in the pciconf -lv that the SC1100 Watchdog
(which is embedded on the mobo, not a pci card) is taken from another
driver. What i'm asking myself is if it's normal that the pci generic driver
gets control of the device this way, but then i don't understand how i can
register as the driver to that watchdog, or if it's a problem due to the
fact that it's actually not exactly an x86. I mean, i just wrote the driver
for the watchdog, but being Geode an x86 clone, it may be possible that i
gotta not only write the driver but also something more about the porting in
order to solve this problem? Am i wrong? I can't see any way to solve this
problem otherwhise as long as my driver's probe() function isn't called for
my watchdog device!
This is pciconf -lv for the watchdog device:

chip2@pci0:18:5: class=0x068000 card=0x0505100b chip=0x0515100b rev=0x00
hdr=0x00
   vendor   = 'National Semiconductor'
   class    = bridge
   subclass = PCI-unknown

I don't really know what to do about that.

Thanks in advance

Claudio Martella

P.S. = please reply to claudio.martella@acaro.org