Date:      Tue, 4 Jan 2000 22:57:41 +0100
From:      Thomas Zenker <thz@tuebingen.netsurf.de>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Proposal: Removing doscmd from the source tree...

On Tue, Jan 04, 2000 at 12:10:35PM -0700, Warner Losh wrote:
> In message <3871FC69.C99882E9@scc.nl> Marcel Moolenaar writes:
> : doscmd breaks cross-building, because it depends on X11 which obviously
> : is not in the source tree (see below). I'm proposing to remove doscmd
> : from the source tree and make it a port (emulators/doscmd).
>
> One can build it w/o X11.  Doesn't sound like sufficent reason to me
> to remove it.

Actually i never used it under X11, but it is very important for
us to have it to run cross-compilers (which are only available as
DOS binaries) integrated with native development environment under
FreeBSD.

I am not sure how many people use it this way. But if it is not
build in buildworld, it will break after kernel updates and I will
have strong wind blowing in my face defending our FreeBSD development
environment at work.

A possibility could be: 1. build it for i386 only, 2. build it via
buildworld without X11, regardless if X11 exists. If I want to use it
with X11, it is interactive and I can make it for X11 by hand - it will
not break on compile runs at some hour at night.

So, my vote against removing.

Thomas